The Gift of Acceptance
Luke 1:28(NLT) – Gabriel appeared to her and said, “Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”
Luke 1:30(TPT) – But the angel reassured her, saying, “Do not yield to your fear, Mary, for the Lord has found delight in you and has chosen to surprise you with a wonderful gift.
Luke 1:35(TPT) – Gabriel answered, “The Spirit of Holiness will fall upon you and almighty God will spread his shadow of power over you in a cloud of glory! This is why the child born to you will be holy, and He will be called the Son of God.”
- The problem of Rejection
A. Steals our love
B. Weakens our faith
Brene Brown – “We are created to belong. The greatest fear in the world is that you will not belong.”
Robin Williams – “People say the worst thing in the world is to be alone, it’s not true, the worst thing in the world is to be with people who make you feel alone.”
The temptations with fear of rejection:
• People pleasing
- Jesus is the solution to rejection.
A. Jesus endured rejection.
Hebrews 12:2 – For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm, and every violation of the law and every act of disobedience was punished.
Isaiah 53:3-5(NLT) – He was despised and rejected – a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on Him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care. Yet it was our weaknesses He carried; it was our sorrows that weighed Him down. And we thought His troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for His own sins! But He was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed.
B. Jesus bore our rejection. Matthew 27:46b(NLT) – “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?”
This was the cry of Jesus just before he died.
C. We are accepted because of His rejection.
Ephesians1:6(NKJV) – to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the beloved.
Ephesians 1:5-6(TPT) – For it was always in His perfect plan to adopt us as His delightful children, through our union with Jesus, the Anointed One, so that His tremendous love that cascades over us would glorify His grace – for the same love He has for His Beloved One, Jesus, He has for us. And this unfolding plan brings Him great pleasure!
Derek Prince said the earthly purpose of Jesus ministry was “to bring us into the same love relationship that exists between the Father and the Son.”
Galatians 4:6(NLT) And because we are His children, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, “Abba, Father.”
Steps for ministry:
- Recognize rejection operating in your life
- Forgive everyone involved
- Repent of allowing rejection to operate
- Receive His acceptance
- Accept yourself
- Break the power of rejection
- Release yourself into joy
John 15:11(NIV) – I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
Key verse to memorize: Luke 1:30(TPT) – But the angel reassured her, saying, “Do not yield to your fear, Mary, for the Lord has found delight in you and has chosen to surprise you with a wonderful gift.”
Questions for discussion/reflection:
- What part of Mary’s story do you most relate to?
- What area of your life has experienced the deepest attacks of rejection?
- Do you think rejection is/has been a big deal in your life? Why or why not?
- Have you experienced a loss of love/faith through rejection?
- What’s a response to the fear of rejection you can identify in your life? (a temptation you have fallen prey to?)
- Have you ever thought about Jesus taking your rejection upon Himself on the cross? How do you respond to that concept?
- What will you do this week to better walk in the revelation that you are accepted in the beloved?
- Write out a personal declaration of acceptance in the Lord or a Scripture about that and commit to read it every day this week.